Conformal coating with parylene is a very different process compared to coating with traditional solvent-borne or UV curable materials. Parylene coating has some advantages including
- a very thin application profile,
- uniform and complete surface coverage, and
- generally excellent protection and minimal outgassing potential.
On the other hand, parylene coating also presents unique challenges such as
- a significant investment in complex equipment,
- batch processes that limit productivity and increases costs, and
- the user’s inability to selectively control where the coating is applied.
It is this final challenge that we will concern ourselves with within the following discussion.